The cosmopolitan cocktail typically referred to as the “cosmo,” gained popularity during the 90s when it was frequently mentioned on the TV show Sex and the City. The combination of vodka, orange liqueur, lime juice, and cranberry juice has made it a timeless classic.
The rise of Cosmopolitan marked the return of premium and fresh ingredients to the cocktail glass. This pink-blushed beauty is one of the most revered modern Cointreau classics.
Plain and simple — it’s the original pink drink.
No matter the reason or season, a cosmopolitan is always a quick and delicious cocktail choice.
The cosmopolitan is a bright, easy-to-make cocktail with a bouquet of lime, orange, lemon, and cranberry. Neon pink, the “cosmo” revivifies, refreshes, and rightfully earns its place beside the margarita and sidecar on your table.
For an extra burst of flavor, peel the orange twist over the filled cocktail glass. This way, the orange oils spray into the glass.
- 1 ½ fluid ounces of vodka
- ¼ fluid ounce of lime juice
- ¼ fluid ounce triple sec
- ¼ fluid ounce of cranberry juice
- 1 cup ice
- 1 lime wedge for garnish
How to Make A White Russian
- Put Together all Ingredients. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice then add vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice, and lime juice.
- Stir gently to get the swirl effect. Shake the cocktail shaker for about 30 seconds until well chilled. Then, strain it into a martini glass.
- Garnish & serve: For an extra burst of flavor, peel the orange twist over the filled cocktail glass. This way, the orange oils spray into the glass.
- Cranberry juice: You can use sweetened cranberry juice or unsweetened plain cranberry juice. If you use unsweetened, you will likely find that you need to add a small splash of simple syrup or agave since it can be quite tart.
- To make 4 drinks at one time, add 1 cup of vodka, 1/4 cup triple sec, 1/3 cup of cranberry juice, and 2 to 4 tablespoons of fresh lime juice to a pitcher. Stir and adjust to taste. Refrigerate. When ready to serve, pour into four martini glasses and garnish with orange peel/twist.
How to Serve a Cosmopolitan Cocktail
Traditionally, cosmopolitans are garnished with a twist of lime or lemon peel. For extra pizzazz, try garnishing with a Candied Lemon Peel or skewered fruits.
Variations on the Cosmopolitan
- Blackberry Cosmopolitan: Replaces cranberry juice with the juice from muddled blackberries.
- Watermelon Cosmo: 1.5 oz vodka, 1 oz triple sec, 0.5 oz fresh lime juice, 2 oz watermelon juice
- Spiced Cosmopolitan: Replaces some of the vodkas with falernum, a Bajan liqueur with warming spices.
- Blueberry Pomegranate Cosmopolitan: Replaces cranberry juice with pomegranate and muddled blueberries.
- Cosmopolitan Strawberry: 2-4 fresh strawberries, 1 oz Cointreau, 0.25 oz fresh lime juice, 2 oz Absolut Citron (citrus vodka). Halve the strawberries (saving one half for garnish) and muddle the others with the Cointreau and lime juice. Add the vodka and ice, and shake well until cold to the touch. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with the reserved strawberry half.
- Rude Cosmopolitan: Substitute tequila for vodka.
- Brazilian Cosmopolitan: Substitute cachaça for the vodka
- The 1934 Cosmopolitan: A dry gin in place of the vodka, a dash of raspberry sugar syrup in place of the cranberry juice